Call it pregnancy cravings but this morning I woke up and had chocolate on the brain. CHOCOLATE! Anyone who knows me knows I’m a vanilla girl. I always choose vanilla cake over chocolate, vanilla ice cream over chocolate, etc. People say I’m crazy but I can’t help it! I love vanilla. But this morning I had to have some chocolate.
So what’s a girl to do? Thank goodness for Pinterest, where I found the perfect recipe! If you’re looking for something that’s full of chocolate decadence and gooey perfection (and doesn’t require tons of ingredients), look no further. This flourless, chocolate crinkle cookie is for you.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Adapted from Divine Baking, Yield: 18
- 1 ½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips (9 ounces), divided
- 3 large egg whites, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice. About 2 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites (using wire whip attachment) until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in ½ cup powdered sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow cream. ***It helps the consistency if you chill your bowl and attachment in the freezer before you beat the eggs.
- In separate bowl mix together 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, & salt. On low speed, beat these ingredients into meringue.
- Stir melted chocolate and ½ cup chocolate chips into meringue mixture
- Place remaining powdered sugar in bowl. Roll one tablespoon of dough into ball and then roll ball in powdered sugar, coating generously.
- Place on greased baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until tops of cookies puff and crack.
- Cool on wire rack