Think about the last time you walked by a cake shop, a bakery, or even the bakery case at your local supermarket. I’m sure you’ve seen the pretty cakes or cupcakes that look like they’re covered in roses. Have you ever wondered how to do that? I remember wanting to know how to make these designs but thinking that it was just too difficult for an amateur like me to do them. Today, I am going to show you all (with a video & step by step pictures) just how simple it really can be!
Personally, I think if there’s one icing technique to learn, the rosette icing technique is it. Once you know how to do this, all of your cakes will look like showpieces and icing a dozen cupcakes will literally take a few minutes.
So what do you need?
- Piping bag
- Wilton 1M or 2D tip (these are the open and closed star tips)
- Favorite icing (medium-stiff consistency works best)
Rosette Technique on your cupcake
- Start at the center of your cupcake and with even pressure squeeze your piping bag and circle around that center point in a clockwise fashion until you reach the outside of your cupcake.
- That’s it! Now, the next time you have cupcakes to ice you can use the rosette icing technique and you’re cupcakes will look like a pro did them :)
Rosette Technique on your cake
- You are going to do the exact same thing but for the top of your cake but for the sides of your cake you are going to ice the cake with your bag at a horizontal angle (parallel with your table) instead of holding the bag vertically.
- The motion is the same though- start at a center point, then work your way around that point until you’ve completed the rosette. Once you’ve done t hat, move onto your next rosette until they’re covering the cake.
- For any open spots, fill in with frosting from the same tip.