I love Christmas traditions and one of our family traditions (and yes it is food related, go figure) is to make toffee cracker candy. I actually tried this sweet treat pretty late in life (sophomore year of college) but as soon as I did, I got my friend’s recipe and I’ve been making it for my family ever since. Let’s just say it was love at first bite… for me, as well as for the fam.
So last night after a fabulous Italian dinner cooked by my husband, I made our favorite chocolaty-toffee treat.
Toffee Cracker Candy
- 1 ½ sleeves Saltine crackers
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups (1 bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Crushed nuts (optional- I’m not a nut fan, so I never do this)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and lay crackers (in single layer) side by side until they cover the entire baking sheet.
- In a small pot over medium heat, bring stick of butter and brown sugar to boil. It should be caramel in color. Pour toffee mixture over crackers. Don’t worry if it’s not covered evenly, the toffee will spread out when you put it in the oven.
- Bake crackers for 5 minutes and toffee mixture should be nice and bubbly.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and let sit for about a minute. After a minute use a spatula to spread the chocolate chips evenly on top of the crackers. If your heart desires, sprinkle your crushed nuts on top of the chocolate.
- Put in the fridge (or in my case since it was freezing outside, on the back patio table) for about 30 minutes or until hard. Break into bite-sized pieces and store in airtight container.