Happy New Year! I still can’t believe it’s 2013. This is going to be such an exciting year for us because come next month, we will be welcoming a little girl into our family! To say I’m overjoyed is an understatement. Every day is one day closer to meeting our little one.
To start the New Year on a positive note I decided to make a semi-homemade strawberry cake. It’s cold up here and there’s snow everywhere! Isn’t it the case, you always want what you can’t have? Well, that’s how I felt wishing for sunshine and summertime so what better reminder of summer (at least for me) than a strawberry cake. Every time we’d go down South to visit our relatives my grandmother would make a special strawberry cake that we would all swoon over. My meme’s cake was my inspiration but not having the recipe on hand I had to improvise. My meme’s cake is still better but this cake takes a pretty close second.
Summertime Strawberry Cake
- 1 box white cake
- 1 3 oz. package strawberry Jello
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3 -4 tablespoons strawberry puree (I bought the sweetened sliced strawberries from the frozen food aisle and put them in the food processor to make this)
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 8 oz. stick of cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons strawberry puree
- For the cake, combine white cake mix and package of Jello. Add all other ingredients. Follow baking instructions on box.
- For the frosting, in mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Finally, add strawberry puree until frosting is completely mixed. My frosting was a bit runny, so I had to add a bit more powdered sugar to thicken things up.
- Frost cake and refrigerate!