For some reason I’ve been dying to try those cauliflower mashed “potatoes”. I was just waiting for the perfect main dish. The other night I got that chance and let me tell you folks, they didn’t disappoint!
At first I was a bit skeptical. I mean, c’mon- can they really taste as good as mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes are just so- creamy yet fluffy. Buttery and sometimes cheesy. Could cauliflower be made to taste like that? Answer: YES! It can. The only difference I could find is the consistency. Mashed cauliflower will be a bit grainer but that didn’t bother me. With that being said, I will definitely make this in lieu of mashed potatoes every time. It’s so much better for you than potatoes!
Just to note, since this was my first experience making this, I pretty much dressed it up with a lot of flavorful, not so healthy things (bacon, butter, cheese) but going forward I wouldn’t use all of that. Not because it wasn’t delicious, oh it was, but to keep it healthier. So try this out and let me know what you think!
Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”
- 1 medium-large head of cauliflower
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Garlic powder, salt, & pepper to taste
- Garnish: dried chives & bacon
- Thoroughly wash cauliflower and remove any green leaves and large stems
- Cut into small pieces and boil until fork tender then drain
- Combine all ingredients in food processor (or immersion blender) until smooth
- Garnish with chives and bacon