Hi Friends! I feel horrible for not posting anything last week but I literally could not sleep (thank you 3rd trimester) and so most of my days were spent catching up on all of that lost sleep. Luckily, I’m back to only waking up a few times a night instead of every 2 hours like I was last week and with that being said I feel so much better!
So how about a quick and easy dinnertime meal? After all, it seems like ages since I last posted a recipe on here so today I thought I’d post about one of our “go-to” meals. Something easy, yummy, and if you’re a family of 2 (like us) then you’ll definitely have leftovers to take to lunch the next day.
Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers
Filling for 4 large green peppers:
- 1 pound ground meat (beef tastes best; chicken/turkey is healthier)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 -15 ounce can black beans
- 1 -15 ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese for top
Sauce for topping:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown meat over medium heat in large stock pot then drain.
- Add garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add cooked rice, black beans, tomato sauce, ketchup, salt, & pepper to beef mixture. Mix well and heat through.
- In the meantime, add hollowed-out green peppers to large pot of boiling water. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until just tender. (Don’t overcook or you will get mushy green peppers that will collapse in the oven- trust me, I know from experience.)
- For sauce, add all ingredients to small pot and place on medium heat. Stir regularly and remove from heat before mixture boils.
- Arrange green peppers in a baking dish. Spoon meat/rice mixture into each pepper; leave a bit of room at the top for sauce.
- Spoon sauce equally over the green peppers.
- Cook peppers in oven for about 25 minutes. During last 5 minutes, place a generous amount of cheddar cheese on each pepper. Cook for remaining 5 minutes or broil, if desired.