If you’ve followed me from the beginning, then you know that I bought my CD’s (cloth diapers) before my baby was even born. I took a leap of faith that they would fit and that I would actually enjoy using them. Today, I’ll tell you that after using them I have never looked back.
If you’re teetering on the edge as to whether or not they’re for you, then read on as I share my experience and how they have benefitted my family, especially my little girl.
First, let me say that even though we had 24 brand new FuzziBunz Elites we did not use them in the first four to six weeks of Harper’s life. The main reason for this was that disposables were just easier.
- We were going through so many diapers each day, I would have had to be doing the laundry almost every day and a half. While trying to recover from a c-section, the last thing I wanted to do was climb up and down our stairs to launder diapers.
- Second, while Harper’s umbilical cord was still attached and healing, it was easier to fold down the disposables and let it heal.
- Lastly, I was tired. If the baby was sleeping, so was I. Honestly, I wasn’t doing chores of any kind.
One of my good friends (who’s a CD user) told me, “Lindsey- give it at least six weeks, get into a routine and then start using them.” She was right. After that six week hurdle the skies opened up, we were getting more sleep, getting into a rhythm, and so it only made since to use the CD at that point.
Here we now are at 16 weeks and we use them 24/7. Here are the reasons I think they’re fabulous…
- We’re no longer buying and throwing away what felt like TONS of diapers. Seriously, I can’t tell you how many disposables we bought (at least 250 in six weeks!), used, and threw away. It was almost sinful when I saw how much garbage we were creating just in diapers alone. Plus, that was a lot of money we were spending and throwing away. I have no problem spending money on our baby, but I typically like to spend money on things that look more like an investment. With CD’s, it is a one-time purchase and you can use them over and over again.
- No more diaper rash. With disposable diapers, I changed my little girl the second she was wet. Yet, she still managed to get two mild rashes! Since we’ve switched over to CD’s, it hasn’t happened once.
- They’re so easy to care for. People are often concerned about the laundering process. Is it hard? Time consuming? Does it make your washer machine smell? How exactly do you do it? My answer to all of these: NO. In fact, tomorrow I will post how exactly I launder them and, once you’ve read that, hopefully you won’t be so intimidated.
- As she grows, they’re so easy to adjust. There is no need to buy a larger size diaper. With the one-size Elites, I simply make the elastic (on the waist, legs, or both) looser or tighter depending on what she needs.
- Lastly, in a cloth diaper, her bum is just so darn cute. I don’t even have to put bloomers over her diaper because I have a rainbow of colors to choose from… soft pastels to bright bold colors. They match with everything!
If you’re a CD newbie, I know they seem a bit daunting at first. Believe me, I dreaded washing that first poopy CD that I put in the wet pail. “Is this going to come out? Have I made an awful decision?” But, after using them, I am a convert and have never regretted my decision. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s post on how to launder them… it really is easier than you think!
As always, I love hearing from you so if you have any questions or tips about CD’s leave them below!