I love going to visit Canada. The people are the nicest you’ll ever meet, it’s gorgeous and, most importantly, it’s where Ryan was born and raised. Plus, I think it’s so important that Harper sees where her daddy grew up. After all, she is half Canadian.
Last weekend, we took a trip up to celebrate Canada Day (Canada’s version of July 4th) with his family and some friends. And like usual we had a blast! Harper was able to spend time with her grandparents and cousin and we took her for her first swim! As soon as we put her in the pool she took right to it. But then again, she loves baths and she’s a Pisces so it only seemed fitting that she would be a fan of the water.
Now, to celebrate this holiday my in-laws threw their annual Canada Day bash and because I love sweets I volunteered to make the dessert. Since it was going to be an outdoor pool party I decided to make a cake that’s super light, chilled, and beyond delicious. It is incredibly fast and easy to make which was perfect since I have a four month old who loves being held.
Strawberry Jell-O Cake with Cream Cheese Whipped Topping
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- 3 ounce box Strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bake cake according to directions on box (I made a 9 x 13 sheet cake) and let cool in pan
- Poke holes about throughout cake with large fork
- Stir one cup boiling water into dry Jell-O mix until completely dissolved. Stir in ½ cup cold water and then carefully pour over cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- To make whipped topping use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth (about 30 seconds). With mixer running add cream and whip until stiff peaks form (about 2 minutes).
- Frost with whipped topping and refrigerate at least an hour or until ready to serve.