Happy (belated) Independence Day! Yesterday I posted about what I made for Canada Day but I couldn’t leave out what I made for our great nation’s birthday now could I?
July 4th is one of my favorite holidays. And to celebrate we went to a good friend’s house where there was grilling out, warm weather, and tons of kids, friends, and of course… fireworks.
Since nothing screams 4th of July like fireworks and red, white, and blue it seemed only fitting that my desserts incorporate both. So what exactly did I make for this occasion? See below!
- 1 box Stars & Stripes (just like Funfetti but was themed for the holiday) white cake mix
- 3 cups Buttercream Icing
- Red, white, and blue gel food coloring
- Wilton Grass Tip #233 or Ateco #234 and piping bags
- Bake cupcakes according to directions on box and let cool
- Tint frosting desired colors (in this case, red, white, and blue)
- Fill piping bag with desired color frosting and starting at the edge of the cupcake squeeze bag just for a second, stop, and let the frosting drop. So it’s squeeze, stop, and let it drop. I know that rhymes but really that’s all you do. If you keep on squeezing then the icing will fall flat and not look good. I know because I did that at first. Not pretty!
- I put a quick video on Instagram so check it out here if you want.
- I piped two layers of the blue, one layer of white, and one layer plus some “sparks” shooting out of the center of red.
That’s it! Super easy, right? Although easy, this wasn’t a quick treat to make. I decorated close to two-dozen cupcakes and all in (bake time to last cupcake being decorated) it took about two hours. But it was soooo worth it to see all of the kids light up when they saw them… have fun with this one and let me know if you have any summer holiday recipes you’d like to share!