There’s nothing like a fresh, homemade strawberry pie in the middle of the hot summer to cool you down. There’s something about strawberries and summer that I absolutely love so when I found this recipe at Cook’s Country, I couldn’t wait to try it! It’s such a simple recipe and the results are definitely worth it. Bring this to your next get together and I swear, your dessert will be the talk of the party.
Summer Strawberry Pie (Serves eight)
- 2 pounds frozen strawberries
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cook frozen berries in large saucepan over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes, as berries begin to release their juice. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until thick and jam like, about 25 minutes (mixture should measure 2 cups).
- Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in small bowl. Let stand until gelatin is softened and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir gelatin mixture, salt, and sugar into cooked berry mixture and return to simmer, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temp, about 30 minutes.
- Fold fresh berries into filling. Spread evenly in pie shell and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Make topping with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth, about 30 seconds. With mixer running, add cream and whip until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Serve chilled pie with whipped topping.